Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Struggling on back


When I woke up this morning my neck was sore, my eyes were blurry, my mouth tasted like I had decided to go on an all cotton diet and this incredibly annoying light they tell me is called the sun was cheerfully poking it's stupid big head through my window. What was wrong? Had I gone on a bender the night before? Indulged in gallons of diet coke and vodka and finished the evening with a pack of cigarettes? Well, no, sadly, I hadn't. What I had done was return to school. Now, I recognize that as a student I am very lucky to be getting regular vacations (though all that ends soon, ask me about how that makes me feel if you want to see a spontaneous physical meltdown). However, and anyone in the world will tell you this, the thing that is awful about vacation is the return from it, not only because you are no longer on vacation, but because assimilating back into pre-vacation mode takes twice as long as the vacation itself. That's a scientific fact. Well, it could be.

So even though I have been back here at not-Yale for three days (which has felt like three lifetimes, I swear, I'm in my late eighties and retiring to Florida next week) I still have not gotten back in my groove. I'm feeling all jittery and sleepy at the same time, and even my good friend coffee hasn't been able to help. The worst of it is that my sleep schedule has gone all too hell, and Hulu has recently added three full seasons of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I mean, no it hasn't. And I certainly am not up to the second season. Not even a little bit.

So as I lay awake in bed last night, unable to sleep, hating the fact that in the morning I would be waking up early and, more importantly, still in not-New Haven, I thought about all of the other things I currently dislike. For your amusement and enjoyment, the list is as follows:

1. Decaffeinated Coffee. I refuse to acknowledge it. I don't see the point.
2. One Tree Hill. Truth be told, I've never seen the show, but something about the fact that it's out there really irritates me.
3. August Strindberg. What a douche.
4. Ugg Boots. Come on now, can we just let this trend die?
5. Goth clothing. In any incarnation. At any point in time.
6. Very smelly people who sit next to you in public places.
7. That new Ciara song.
8. Improv Comedy.
9. Chapped lips, my own, or anyone else's.
10. Apartheid. What? I can hate serious stuff too.

There. Now I feel MUCH better. Here's hoping this will help me get some shut-eye! Or at least think less bitter thoughts while I'm not doing so.

Above is a photo I surreptitiously snapped of a huge gothy struggle at the Philadelphia Flower Show.

No comments:

Post a Comment